The concept of cultural exchange in the time of physical distancing and restricted mobility has emerged as the key question and challenge in 2020. In response, the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) and the ASEAN Foundation are launching a new and innovative format to adapt to the current environment and rallying their communities to co-create online.
ASEF through its arts website culture360.ASEF.org with the support of KONNECT ASEAN, an ASEAN Foundation arts and cultural programme funded by the Republic of Korea, are pleased to invite proposals for a new virtual residency series and online capacity building to support cultural exchange amongst emerging artists and cultural practitioners across all arts disciplines from the ASEAN region and the Republic of Korea. Each residency will pair 2 participants (one ASEAN national and one Republic of Korea national) who will collaborate online for a period of one month. The result will be one jointly written article and one podcast or video interview published on culture360.ASEF.org
About the partners
KONNECT ASEAN aims to support regional arts practices through different platforms: exhibitions, community outreach, workshops, printed and digital documentation, and more. In doing so, KONNECT ASEAN aims to achieve three primary outcomes. First, to encourage dialogue about contemporary issues ranging from the social and the regional to the political and the environmental. Second, to further historical discourse on what constitutes an ASEAN artistic identity and aesthetic. And last but not least, to build cooperation across groups in government, business, and civil society in the arts and cultural sectors.
ASEF promotes understanding, strengthens relationships and facilitates cooperation among the people, institutions and organisations of Asia and Europe.
culture360.ASEF.org is an online platform managed by ASEF since 2008. It counts over 280,000 unique visitors yearly and offers up-to-date information on arts, culture, and heritage from 51 countries in Asia and Europe. Publically funded by the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM), culture360.ASEF.org is for artists, cultural professionals, policy makers, and anyone interested in international cultural cooperation. Virtual360 Konnect is part of the Arts Journalism Matters series initiated in 2019 to encourage thriving arts media ecosystems in Asia and Europe.
About the Residency
- Each pair will collaborate online over a period of one month
- The theme of the collaboration is international cultural cooperation and cultural exchange in the COVID-19 era
- Within this broad theme, each pair is free to focus on one or more arts disciplines e.g. visual arts, performing arts, music, film, interdisciplinary, cross-sectoral, etc.
- Each pair will define and propose the topic of their residency
- Each pair will write a joint article that will be published on culture360.ASEF.org (maximum 2,000 words)
- Each pair will take part in a podcast or video interview about the collaborative process.
Fee: Each participant will be disbursed a fee of USD 500 to take part in the residency.
- National of an ASEAN Member State or of the Republic of Korea
- Arts professional with 2 to 5 years’ experience in the arts sector
- Excellent written and fluent spoken English (all communication and writing will be in English)
- Preferably with some experience in writing journalistic style articles
- We invite proposals submitted as a pair or as an individual. We will prioritise proposals from pairs including one national from ASEAN and one from Korea.
- Take part in the residency and work with another cultural professional to write a joint article
- Submit weekly updates about the progress of the project through video clips and/or social media posts via the KONNECT ASEAN Facebook group page and culture360 Instagram page
- Prepare a joint article that will be published on culture360.ASEF.org
- Take part in a podcast or video interview to document the process of the residency.
Submission of proposals
The ASEF and European Foundation invites you to submit your proposal through this form and attach the required documents latest by 5 September 2020:
A panel composed by one representative from ASEAN and one representative from ASEF will evaluate and select the proposals. Please note that only successful candidates will be notified latest by 21 September 2020.
Open call for applications
5 August to 5 September 2020
7-18 September 2020
Announcement of selected participants
21 September 2020
28 Sept to 30 October 2020
Presentation of results and online activities
1 November to 4 December 2020