Historical Marker Installed at Ambassador’s Official Residence in Washington, D.C.
WASHINGTON D.C. – A historical marker, made out of cast iron, from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) dedicating the Official Residence of the Philippine Ambassador in Washington, D.C. as a National Historical Landmark of the Philippines was installed on the facade of the Official Residence on 13 June 2022 as part of the Embassy’s 124th Philippine Independence Day festivities and coincides with the 75th anniversary of the formal establishment of diplomatic relations between the Philippines and the United States.
“We are deeply honored that the Official Residence of the Philippine Ambassador to the United States now proudly displays its history to the public. The installation of this historical marker highlights the long-standing history and goodwill between the Philippines and the United States,” declared Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel G. Romualdez.
“The marker does not only immortalize the past, but inspires and encourages the next generation of Filipinos and Filipino-Americans to continue building on and reinforcing the ties we have today. Apart from educating the public about the residence and its history, I hope it will forever symbolize the longstanding ties between our peoples and the strength of our alliance with the United States.” Ambassador Romualdez added.
The residence was designed by Waddy B. Wood and built in 1904 by William Lipscomb and Company for Retired General and Mrs. Charles L Fitzhugh. In 1913, Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon had the opportunity to visit and was impressed by the structure and design of the house. Since the purchase of the property from the Elizaldes in 1949, it has become the official residence of succeeding Philippine Ambassadors to the United States.
“As the first Philippine ambassador to the United States, Ambassador Joaquin Elizalde purchased this house – known as the Emma S. Fitzhugh House – to be his personal residence in 1946. On August 30 1949, the three-year-old Philippine Republic bought the structure from Ambassador Elizalde. This well-preserved structure represents the enduring friendship between the Philippines and the US. It is only befitting that the Philippine government accord the Philippine-Ambassador’s Residence a historical marker,” shared NHCP Chairman Dr. Rene Escalante.
Ambassador Romualdez thanked NHCP and Philippine Airlines for transporting the markers, making possible the momentous occasion.
Text and images courtesy of DFA-OPCD.