The Japan Foundation, Manila is pleased to announce the publication of ART ARCHIVE 03. This is the third volume of a series that explores current trends and concerns in Philippine contemporary art. ART ARCHIVE 03 brings together sixteen writers, presenting a diverse set of perspectives about contemporary Music and Design in the country. In addition to our earlier volumes, ART ARCHIVE 01 and ART ARCHIVE 02, we hope that this publication serves as an added resource for readers interested in Philippine art and constructively contribute to the dialogue on contemporary art in the region.
In line with the Japan Foundation’s aim of carrying out comprehensive international exchange programs throughout the world, the book is published in a digital format for accessibility. As a primer for readers interested in Philippine art, ART ARCHIVE 03 is meant to be used as a resource to foster cultural exchange and knowledge sharing for artists, educators, and art and cultural institutions in the Philippines and abroad.
Two videos were also released for the Virtual Book Launch presenting the contents of both Music and Design sections. The videos also include discussions between the Section Editors and Contributors about their essays and professions. You can access the videos on our Official YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtT0tX-mYZ0&list=PLZtiZfYq6OPwnH28UIA5Szu3ZN2e6mv24
● INSIGHT: Why Music Matters to the Communities by José S. Buenconsejo, PhD
● RECONTEXTUALIZING OPM IN THE 21st CENTURY by Krina Cayabyab
● BEYOND MUSIC AND SOUND ART by Agnes Manalo
● VARIETIES OF CONTEMPORARY FILIPINO SONG MASHUPS (1970s TO PRESENT) by José
S. Buenconsejo, PhD
● PINOYS AND BATTLE RAP: Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo by Lara Katrina T. Mendoza, PhD
● SITUATING MUSIC IN THE CONTEXT OF RECENT TRENDS IN ORIGINAL PHILIPPINE
MUSICAL THEATER PRODUCTIONS by Aileen dela Cruz
● POWERFUL MOVE: The Influence of Budots in Philippine Society by Desiree Peralejo
● MUSIC FESTIVALS IN THE PHILIPPINES: Tropicality, Identity, Cosmopolitanism by Tusa Montes
● NARRATING SUSTAINABILITY, BY DESIGN: Stories of Responses to Sustainable Futures by Ar.
Leonido Gines, Jr. and Ar. Gerry Torres
● UNDERSTANDING MUTUAL SUPPORT: Creating More Meaningful Spaces by Sudarshan V.
Khadka Jr. and Alexander Eriksson Furunes
● BAMBOO ARCHITECTURE AND ITS SUSTAINABILITY by Rosario Encarnacion Tan
● INTUITION AND FASHION INNOVATION by Lulu Tan-Gan
● WADING IN PLASTIC: A Graphic Design Packaging Dilemma by Dan Matutina and Dang Sering
● ZINE FAST, DIY YOUNG, LEAVE A GOOD-LOOKIN ‘ROX: Disruption by Design Starring the
Punks, Poets, and Poseurs of the Philippine Zine Community by Adam David
DIRECTORY OF PHILIPPINE MUSIC AND DESIGN INSTITUTIONS